Please join the Garfield Orchestra for the Mid-Winter Concert with the Washington Middle School Orchestra Thursday, December 19th from 7 to 9 pm at the Quincy Jones Performing Arts Center!
FOGO is sponsoring a bake sale before and after the Mid-Winter concert. We can’t have these treats without help from our families. Please consider signing up to help set up/sell, bring treats…or both! You can sign up here.
Come join the Garfield Symphony Orchestra at our annual Messiah Sing-Along on December 13, 2019 at Seattle First Baptist Church. This annual event is a fun and festive way to celebrate the holiday.
Tickets can be purchased at the door or online at Brown Paper Tickets.
Please consider bringing a dessert to share or volunteering your time at this special event and help support Garfield Orchestra. You can sign up here.
We are pleased to announce we have some fabulous spirit wear available to order now! Featuring Garfield Orchestra’s new logo, there are items that will appeal to any student, family member or alumni. Place your order before the October 27th deadline and your spiffy new spirit wear will arrive before Thanksgiving. Place your order here.
Come meet our Orchestra Director Bryan Kolk, FOGO Board members and other Orchestra students and their families.
- Sunday, September 22, 2019
- 4 PM – 7 PM
- Garfield Orchestra Room & Outside Courtyard
FOGO will provide pizza and we ask our families to bring non-alcoholic beverages, side dishes or dessert to share. Bring the following based on your student’s last name:
- A – H: Non-Alcoholic Beverage
- I – P: Side Dish
- Q – Z: Dessert
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us Thursday, June 13th for Garfield Orchestra’s final concert of the year! Starting at 6:30 PM you can enjoy a bahn mi sandwich, a baked treat and conversation with your friends.
Garfield’s Chamber Orchestra will be performing before the concert, so come early!
If you would like to bring a baked treat and/or help sell them, please sign up here.
Come here our senior concerto soloists accompanied by the Garfield Symphony Orchestra on Tuesday, May 21st at 7:30 PM. This concert will be held in the Garfield Commons.
Edouard Lalo – Symphonie espagnole, Op. 21
I. Allegro non troppo
Conan Brkanac, violin soloist
Max Bruch – Romanze, Op. 85
Mari Morikawa, viola soloist
Sergei Prokofiev – Violin Concerto No. 2 in g minor, Op. 63
II. Andante assai
Nicholas Gjordling, violin soloist
Carlo Maria von Weber – Concerto for Bassoon in F major, Op. 75
I. Allegro ma non troppo
Sofie Friedlander, bassoon soloist
Antonio Vivaldi, arr. Zartouhi Dombourian-Eby – Piccolo Concerto in C major, Op. 44, Nr. 11
III. Allegro molto
Phoebe Rawn, piccolo soloist
Frédéric Chopin – Piano Concerto No. 1 in e minor, Op. 11
I. Allegro maestoso
Michael Duan, piano soloist
Sergei Rachmaninoff – Piano Concerto No. 2 in c minor, Op. 18
Connor Zhang, piano soloist
Garfield Orchestra students had a great showing at the Washington State Solo & Ensemble Contest, held in Ellensburg, April 26th and 27th.
Congratulations to the following four students for placing in the top three for Washington state in their instrument categories:
- 1st Place – Sho K (cello)
- 2nd Place – Corinna S (trumpet)
- 2nd Place – Milo P (percussion – mallets)
- 3rd Place – Sofie F (bassoon)
Garfield Orchestras are preparing for another exciting year of music making! If you would like to be involved, we want to ensure that you are placed in the proper ensemble to best foster your growth as a musician. In order to do so, we want to hear you play. Here are the important details:
- All Freshman String players should enroll in Chamber Orchestra. No audition is required: this class is designed to welcome our Freshman string class to the program and to create the social and technical familiarity necessary for our orchestra family to grow in successive years.
- Two of our ensembles, Concert and Symphony Orchestra, meet as a Full Orchestra – including Winds, Brass, and Percussion in addition to Strings. In full orchestra literature, winds, brass, and percussion instruments are treated as soloists. As such, ALL Wind, Brass, and Percussion players must audition to be placed in these ensembles. Concert and Symphony Orchestras are open to Freshman Wind, Brass, and Percussion players by audition.
Audition information documents are available for download here:
- Audion Guide – this describes everything you need to know.
- Excerpts: Strings, Brass, Percussion, Woodwinds
The audition dates are May 20 and 21, starting at 4:00pm and going until 6:30pm (if these times fill up, additional days will be added). Sign-ups are available by following this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/508084FA9A82DA7F49-audition